How We Work
Working with Children and Young People in schools
The Valley Trust has now been in existence for over twenty-five years and its purpose and focus have been evolving over time. We work tirelessly to ensure we accommodate the changing nature of the needs arising, advances in counselling methods and, of necessity, current market forces, which dictate the balance between schools’ needs and what they find affordable.
The Valley Trust Core Framework
This sets out our core service. It clearly outlines what is offered by our counsellors in schools and what is received by children and young people involved.
The Initial Assessment Period
- Receipt of referral information
- Meeting with parents/carers of primary-aged children
- Assessment session with child/young person
- Confidentiality agreement
The Counselling Sessions
- Setting the focus of the work
- Agreeing the way of working
- Allowing the child/young person to tell their story
- Empowering the child/young person
- Exploring strategies to develop solutions
- Helping the child/young person to think and behave differently
- Continuous re-evaluation throughout the process
Final Assessment and Evaluation
- Review of the counselling process
- Clarification of strategies and solutions for the child/young person
- Optional follow-up meeting with parents/carers
- Possible referral on to third-party agencies
- Completion of evaluation
- Case Closure
An Annual Review is undertaken with every school we serve. This meeting is attended by the school head, the link member of school staff, the counsellor(s) and a trustee.
We continually receive positive feedback from schools. Head teachers say that our counselling services are “hugely valued”, “working very well”, “a wonderful service”, and “a very positive addition to our school”.